History Landhuis Chobolobo

Home/History Landhuis Chobolobo
History Landhuis Chobolobo 2017-04-04T08:39:11+00:00
Incorrect slider name. Please make sure to use a valid slider slug.

Part of the cultural heritage of Curaçao

One of the few freely accessible country mansions in Curaçao

The Chobolobo Mansion and Country Estate were built in the early 19th century. The Country House is located in the center of a 10 hectare piece of land and lies in the suburb of Saliña, which is a salt plain.

The first epilogue of the property’s history is still partly shrouded in mystery, but we do know that the country house never had any other use than to serve as a country retreat for the wealthy city people (whereas most landhuizen were used as plantation houses for agricultural purposes or salt). It is said that the mansion was, at one point, owned by a free slave. At that time it was named Chobolobo, which likely has an Indian meaning.

We do know that in the early 1900’s it belonged to the family Jesurun – who in 1947 – sold the property to N.V. Senior & Co. Since then Landhuis Chobolobo has become the home of the world famous Genuine Curaçao Liqueur.

Landhuis Chobolobo consists of 2 stories with a saddle roof without dormer windows. The ground floor is square. The first floor is L-shaped. This ‘missing’ corner has a pent above the kitchen.

Landhuis Chobolobo has a couple of nicknames:

  • Uitzicht (view)
  • Lest den Dorst (thirst quencher)
  • (de) Zoutpan (the salt plain)
  • House of Colors
  • Een Geel Huis (a yellow house)